There is a monument to the King Edward's Horse at Vieille Chapelle which is a small village located to the north-east of Bethune in northern France. The King Edward's Horse defended the village on the 9-11th April 1918. In 1921, the Mayor of Vieille Chapelle suggested that a memorial stone (Figure 388-389) be placed in a prominent position in the village recording the valiant action of King Edward’s Horse and those that fell there. The monument was subsequently moved to the village cemetery (Vieille-Chapelle New Military Cemetery
, Lacouture) where it stands today. Figures 388-389: Memorial stone honouring those men of the King Edward’s Horse who were killed or wounded at Vieille Chapelle on the 9th-11th April 1918 (Lieutenant Colonel Lionel James. The History of King Edwards Horse (The King's Overseas Dominions Regiment). London: Sifton, Praed & Co, 1921).
The King Edward's Horse memorial as it looks today in the communal cemetery at Vieille Chapelle. The name of Lieutenant George Henry Havelock-Sutton MC was added to the rear of the memorial after it had been officially opened in 1921. He died of his wounds received in the action.
Figure 390: The King Edward's Horse memorial photographed in 2018 (Pierre Vanvervelden collection).