The following is a brief summary of the Regiment’s movements in the Great War:
Figure 11, upper image: No. 3 Troop of ‘C’ Squadron at Gammons Farm, Watford in 1914 the captioning ‘en route for Berlin’ by the Troopers capturing the optimism and excitement of the early stages of the Great War (The King Edward’s Horse Senior and Junior Comrades’ Association Annual Bulletin. 19: 16, 1952).
- Embodied 4th August 1914 in Chelsea where it was training with the 4th Cavalry Brigade. It was mobilised to Watford (Figure 11, upper image) and moved to Bishop Storford in March 1915 (Figure 12, bottom image).
Figure 12, bottom image: Lieutenant Colonel Victor Sandeman (seated centre front row, as shown in Figure 7) with Captain R. D. Furse (third from left front row) and other Officers of King Edwards Horse at Bishop’s Storford in April 1915 (The King Edward’s Horse Senior and Junior Comrades’ Association Annual Bulletin. Number 20: 12, 1953).
- Numbered 1st King Edward’s Horse but served with the Divisional Cavalry as independent Squadrons until 1st June 1916.
In April 1915, the Regiment was split up:
- ‘A’ Squadron (British Asian) was attached to 12th Division at Aldershot from 23rd May 1915 and landed at Havre, France on 2nd June 1916 to join IV Corps Cavalry Regiment
- ‘B’ Squadron (Canadian) landed at Havre on 22 April 1915 and joined 48th (South Midland) Division and then IV Corps Cavalry Regiment on 1st June 1916
- ‘C’ Squadron (Australasian) together with Regimental HQ landed at Havre on 22nd April 1915 and joined 47th (London) Division and then joined IV Corps Cavalry Regiment on 1st June 1916