Second Pattern Regimental Headdress Badge


The second pattern Regimental headdress badge bears the 'KC' cypher surmounted by Prince of Wales’s plumes and coronet all resting on a tri-part scroll inscribed “Regi Adsumus Coloni” (Colonials venturing for the King) (KK 1371). This badge was worn beneath the first pattern Regimental badge on the front and the turned-up, left brim of the first pattern Full Dress felt hat by Officer’s of the Regimental Headquarters staff from 1901 to 1905.  It was also worn on the front of the Undress uniform first pattern forage cap from 1901 to 1905 by Officers of the Regimental Headquarters staff as shown in Figure 178.  

Figure 178: Close-up image from the group photograph in Figure 85 of the second pattern, Regimental headdress badge (KK 1371) being worn on the Undress peaked cap with matching collar badges by the Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant of the King’s Colonials circa 1905 (Peter Nemaric collection).

From 1905, the second pattern Regimental headdress badge was worn on the turned-up side of the second pattern Full Dress bush hat and on the front of the Undress second pattern peaked service cap by Officers of the Regimental Headquarters Staff. In 1909-10, when the Squadron badges were abandoned as the Dominion associations and designations were lost (as noted in the section on the Regimental history), they were said to have been replaced by the second pattern Regimental headdress badge (KK 1371) on the Full Dress bush hat and Undress peaked service cap. The photographic evidence, however, supports that the Squadron badges were worn up until the Regiment became the King Edward's Horse in 1910 and King Edward's Horse headdress badges were worn from that time onward.

Kipling and King state that the second pattern Regimental badge (KK 1371) was made in gilt, bronze, and gilding-metal and in two sizes. The reference to two sizes is of interest. Kipling and King noted that the second pattern Regimental badge worn on the upturned side of the Full Dress headdress was smaller than the one worn on the front of the headdress and that this smaller version of the badge was worn on the front of the Undress forage and peaked caps. To date, no genuine examples of different sizes of this headdress badge have been identified. The Officer's pouch belt badge is the same size as the headdress badge as shown in Figure 279, however, a small version of this badge was worn on the Officer's pouch as shown in Figures 280-281 which is the same size as an Officer's collar badge. It could have been this smaller sized pouch badge which Kipling and King were referring to.

Second pattern Regimental badges are generally found in gilt for Officer’s and gilding metal for Other Rank’s. Figures 179-180 show four different examples of the second pattern Regimental Officer's headdress badge. A genuine second pattern Regimental Officer’s headdress badge in die-cast bronze was for wear with Officer's Service Dress and is shown as the left hand badge at the end of the row of in Figures 179-180. It has three blades/tangs, one placed vertically behind the centre of the Prince of Wales’s plumes and the other two positioned east-west at the ends of the Regimental motto scroll consistent with the loop positions on a genuine gilding metal Officer's and Other Ranks headdress badges. Contemporary photographs of these badges being worn do not show darkened badges as would have been observed if the badges were bronzed. Bronzed collar badges are known from the Colin Churchill collection (see later section) and these were thought to be for Officer’s Service Dress but again no photographic evidence of them being worn has been identified. I have only seen one other bronzed version of this badge which was sold at auction in the UK in a lot of other King's Colonials headdress badges. The majority of these badges were Squadron badges as was a first pattern Regimental Badge that was with them. The bronzed badge had loops and as to whether it was a genuine example is difficult to say without handling it.

The headdress badges second from the left in Figures 179-180 is also fitted with blades, in this case four. The next two badges are die cast with a semi-flat back and die cast with a flat back. They each have three gilt loops which lack feet. The badge third from the left with semi-flat back and pinched loops was from an original display set made by Firmin of London. The badge to its right with the flat back is presumably from another manufacturer.