A Reserve Squadron of the King Edward's Horse was formed at Chelsea in August 1914 to provide a cadre of Troopers to the other four Squadrons. The Reserve Squadron moved to Bishop Storford in May 1915, crossed to Ireland in July 1915. They were attached to the 8th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at the Curragh (Figure 28).Figure 28: Australians in the 4th Troop, Reserve Squadron at the Curragh circa 1915. Back row: J. S. Haddin (1224), Kevin J. Sullivan (1216), Samuel Stretch (1218), Leslie Leake (1221) and Thomas Hawkins (1219). Centre row: W. R. Withers, Lieutenant Montgomery, Lieutenant Syme and Corporal Gilbert Boileau (1075). Front row: -, Edward J. Leake (1221), -, James Leslie Rood Fry (1235) (The King Edward’s Horse Senior and Junior Old Comrades’ Association Annual Bulletin. Number 19: 19, 1952).
The Squadron moved to Longford, Ireland in April 1916 (Figure 29) and then to Dublin in February 1917 where it was expanded to a Reserve Regiment.Figure 29, bottom image: 1st and 2nd Troops of the Reserve Squadron of King Edward’s Horse taken at Longford, Ireland in 1916 (The King Edward’s Horse Senior and Junior Old Comrades’ Association Annual Bulletin. Number 20: 20, 1953).