Figure 130: Private Brazil W. La Nauze of the King Edward’s Horse in Full Dress uniform circa 1910-14 (R. C. Whittock: The Military Historical Society, XVII: 61-65, 1967). Private La Nauze is wearing the Sombrero hat with King Edward's Horse headdress badge and 'B' Squadron (British American) collar badges. The khaki girdle with two red stripes and narrow yellow edging was introduced for wear by Other Ranks in 1913 having been already introduced to the bandsman's uniform at an earlier date.
Figure 131: Regimental Sergeant Major Daniel Fegan in Full Dress uniform of ‘B’ Squadron, King Edward’s Horse circa 1911 (Copyright Imperial War Museum Q 69197). He is wearing the Sombrero hat with the brim partially turned up with a sweeping plume of cock’s feathers with the Regimental badge in the pagri and ‘B’ Squadron (British American) collar badges of the King’s Colonials.
Figure 132: British 1899 Pattern Cavalry Trooper’s Sword, King Edward's Horse. The 1899 Pattern cavalry trooper’s sword was introduced on the 19th October 1899, eight days after the Second Boer War broke out. It was intended to be a refinement on the 1890 Pattern, with a slightly shorter blade, greater protection for the hand and a longer grip. Users generally considered it on the heavy side and much more effective in the thrust than the cut: this cemented the growing consensus that cavalry swords should be built entirely for thrusting. Photographs taken on active service during WW1 (see Figure 20 for a clear example) show that KEH troopers carried the 1899 Pattern sword into WW1. This was not uncommon for reserve units – the newer 1908 Pattern was issued first and foremost to the regular cavalry and older patterns were retained as long as they were serviceable. The sword shown in Figure 132 is marked with the post-1910 form of the unit’s name, KEH and this combined with its grey-green field paint scheme, makes it even more likely to be one of these WW1-used examples. The sword and scabbard bear different markings and are not an original pair, although their similar condition suggests they have been together a long time. It may well be the case that the regiment used the same swords it was initially supplied with in 1901 as the King's Colonials through to the end of WW1. Photograph and information courtesy of Richard Breislin www.blackthorn-antiques.com