There are two patterns of the King Edward’s Horse headdress badge which differ in the style of the crown.
The first and second pattern headdress badges worn by the Officers and Other Ranks of the King Edward’s Horse are large badges which depict a shield of the Royal Standard to the centre of a wreath of oak and laurel that bears the names of the Commonwealth countries involved, surmounted by the Royal Crest. The first pattern headdress badge is surmounted with a distinctive ‘spikey’ Saxon Crown not found on any other headdress badge worn by the British army. The crown on the second pattern headdress badge is a regular Imperial crown synonymous with the period 1902-1953 and generally referred to as the King's crown. Beneath the Crown there is a scroll bearing the title and to the lower edge the motto and tablet "KODR" for the King’s Overseas Dominion Regiment (KK 1506).
The first pattern headdress badges were worn from the re-naming of the Regiment to King Edward's Horse in 1910 until at least 1916 and can be seen being worn in Figure 336 with the badge in close-up in Figures 337-338. Figure 336: The ‘spikey’ Saxon Crown (KK 1506) first pattern King Edward’s Horse Other Ranks headdress badge in gilding metal with tunic button worn by Private Jim Kerr (Regimental number 379) circa 1914 (Peter Nemaric collection).
The first pattern headdress badge in Figures 337-338 is an Officer’s version of KK 1506 which is die-cast, voided bronze fitted with east-west blades. Figures 337-338: A genuine First Pattern King Edward’s Horse Officer’s headdress badge in die cast bronze with a ‘spikey’ Saxon Crown (KK 1506) with east-west blades (now folded back on themselves) circa 1910-16.