MOSS, John Albert. Private. Portrait photograph in an Other Ranks Service Dress uniform of the 2KEH circa 1915-1917 (Copyright Imperial War Museum HU 124478).

MOSS, John A. 242. Private. Discharged 9/10/1917.

MOSS, Sydney. 1638. Private. Commissioned Middlesex Regiment 29/01/1918.

MOUTRAY-READ, Hugh Arthur. Private 2KEH. Noted as being at camp with 2KEH at Melton Hutments near Woodbridge, Suffolk. Born 15/03/1876 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England one of six children (three boys and three girls) born to Colonel John Moutray Read and Edith Isabelle Read. Lived in Auckland, New Zealand and worked as reporter. Married Florence Jane Islip in 1904 in Lambeth, London. Served in Boer War arriving in South Africa 20/01/1900 on SS 'Waiwera' as a Private, 529, 1st Company, New Zealand Mounted Rifles (NZMR), 2nd Contingent. Awarded Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps Johannesberg, Cape Colony and Orange Free State (with correspondence on entitlement to Diamond Hill clasp) and King's South Africa medal with class South Africa 1901-02. Discharged from NZMR 20/06/1900 and then served as a Private with the with South African (Transvaal) Constabulary after discharge from 2nd Contingent. Living in Folkestone, England in 1906 and died in 1939. His brother Captain Anketell Moutray-Read VC (1884–1915) was born on 27/10/ 1884 and was commissioned in the Gloucestershire Regiment in November 1903 and served in India until 1911. While in India he was the Army’s heavyweight boxing champion eight times and middleweight twice. On the outbreak of WWI, he was transferred to France with the 9th Lancers. Wounded in September 1914 during an engagement on the Aisne, he recovered and returned to France with the 1st Northamtonshire Regiment in May 1915. Captain Read’s citation read: "On 25th September 1915 near Hulluch, France, Captain Read, although partially gassed, went out several times in order to rally parties of different units which were disorganized and retiring. He led them back into the firing line and regardless of danger to himself, moved about under withering fire, encouraging them, but he was mortally wounded while carrying out this gallant work." He was buried in the Dud Corner Cemetery at Loos. As he had never married, his Victoria Cross was presented to his mother at Buckingham Palace by King George V on November 29, 1916. His VC is held in the Northamptonshire Regimental Museum, Abington Park, Northamptonshire.

MUGGLEWORTH, Harry. 1782. Private 2KEH. Military Foot Police P8556. Discharged 10/03/1919.

MUIR, George. 827. Private. Discharged 2/10/1917.

MUIR, James McLean. 287. Lance Corporal. Enlisted at White City, London.  KIA 10/08/1915. Born in Kinross, Scotland and emigrated to South Dunedin, New Zealand. Entered France 4/05/1915. Buried at LA PLUS DOUVE FARM CEMETERY, Hainaut, Belgium. Gratuity claimed by Miss Maud McLean Muir. Commemorated on the Auckland Online Cenotaph.

MULES, Philip Austin. 871. Acting Serjeant. Commissioned 2KEH 1/10/1915. Became a Captain in the Tank Corps.

MURPHY, Thomas 1607. Deserted 16/07/1916 no medals awarded.

MURRAY, A. S. The Honourable. Major. Awarded the Distinguished Service Order.

NASH, Nowell. 1344. Private. Commissioned 6th Reserve Battalion, London Regiment 28/02/1917.
NEALE, Patrick E. 1019. Serjeant. Commissioned 2KEH 30/04/1917. Later Lieutenant Machine Gun Corps.

NELSON, John. 1460. Acting Serjeant. Machine Gun Corps 111987, Northumberland Fusiliers 61219. Discharged 1/01/1919.

NEWBURY, George Grinsted. 1198. Private. Transferred to Royal Flying Corps 13/02/1917 Private 65143 later commissioned as a Second Lieutenant Royal Air Force. BWM and Victory medals named to RFC. Brother of Robert Newbury.

NEWBURY, Robert S. 1197. Private. Transferred to Royal Flying Corps 17/02/1917 Private 65111. BWM and Victory medals named to RFC. Brother of George Newbury.

NEWSTEAD, Horace. 1569. Private 2KEH. Transferred to KEH as Private 2124. Entered France 26/10/1915 and discharged 29/06/1919.

NORTON-GRIFFITHS, John. Member of Parliament. Founded the 2nd King Edward's Horse. Lieutenant-Colonel Sir John Norton-Griffiths, 1st Baronet, KCB, DSO was born in Somerset, UK on 27/09/1871 and died 27/09/1930. He was an engineer, British Army officer during the Second Boer War and the First World War. A colourful figure in his day, known as "Empire Jack", he was also the grandfather of Jeremy Thorpe, a leading British politician. Norton-Griffiths had a meteoric rise as a mining entrepreneur seeking to capitalise on the opportunities emanating from the British Empire. In 1889 he gained his first experience working in the gold mines of Johannesburg, learning about the use of tunnelling and dynamite for the extraction process. He quickly became a deputy manager at one of the gold mines and was involved and arrested in the botched Jameson Raid (1895–96) in the Transvaal. His first big mining operation came in 1902, excavating the terrain of the Ivory Coast for its gold reserves. From 1905–08 he led on the construction of the Benguela railway in what is now Angola. With the backing of financiers, he had formed his own company in 1909 and won a multitude of contracts that included Yarmouth and Weston-Super-Mare piers, Southsea promenade, parts of the London Underground and work as far afield as Canada and Azerbaijan. However, more significantly, he had been tasked with constructing the Battersea to Deptford drainage system and also in 1913 was contracted to lay the sewage system in Manchester.  In January 1910 he was elected as a Conservative MP for Wednesbury, standing on a platform to protect British trade and extolling the virtues of the British Empire. Some of his earliest contributions in the Commons included asking for reform of the House of Lords, albeit allowing territories that were part of the British Empire to have representation. In 1913 he also asked Ministers to provide relief to the families and children of workers striking in the Midlands. As Whitehall prepared for war at the end of July 1914, Norton-Griffiths was like many enthused by the prospect of a decisive and quick victory against the Germans. Advertising in the Pall Mall Gazette, he encouraged former soldiers in the Boer War to enlist, leading to the formation of the 2nd King Edward's Horse regiment. By January 1915 fighting had resulted in deadlock and there were already signs that the German military were adapting to the new conditions. Norton-Griffiths believed that his experience in tunnelling and engineering could counter anything the Germans had at their disposal. His ideas filtered up the military chain and Lord Kitchener ordered 10,000 'clay kickers' to be recruited. Drawing on men from his own projects and tapping into mining regions, he recruited over 200 men in the first week. They had the unique distinction of being in a military unit yet with no actual military training or experience. Nine tunnelling companies were quickly created that fell under the remit of the Royal Engineers. As no formal military command existed for the miners, Norton-Griffiths instructed the men to use their skills for defensive purposes in order to detect German tunnels approaching British positions. Norton-Griffiths introduced a range of innovations to assist with the tunnelling, in what was an an incredibly dangerous and arduous process: "The tunneller lay on his back, at 45 degrees to the floor of the tunnel, and facing the work-face, supported by a wooden back-rest shaped like a crucifix. He dug away at the wall into clay before him, using a special long-bladed light spade between his feet. The clay was hauled out by the digger's mate, who worked behind him with another man who helped him load it into sacks to be dragged to the rear. A second team lined the tunnel with wooden props to prevent it from collapsing. "One of the keys to British success lay in detecting enemy tunnels before their efforts alerted German miners. Norton-Griffiths equipped miners with the geo-phone, having seen demonstrations at the University of Paris. The device was essentially an adapted stethoscope but was incredibly effective when used. Miners could monitor German progress from a distance of 100ft in clay and 260ft in chalk tunnels. The British had experienced some success in April 1915 at the Second Battle of Ypres. Having detected a German tunnel close by they managed to detonate it with explosives before the Germans could. However, it did mean that British tunnellers were constantly reacting to the tactics of German mining without offering a more targeted strategy. Norton-Griffiths felt a more aggressive approach was needed and he facilitated a number of measures to aid this. Firstly was the introduction of ammonal, an explosive far more powerful than TNT that would lead to some of the biggest detonations of the First World War. The issue of pay was also a major source of friction for the miners and almost led to strike action. Norton-Griffiths acted as the negotiator between military command and the miners, managing to introduce an escalating pay scale based on experience and skills. Finally, Norton-Griffiths was a keen proponent of deeper tunnels, which led to digging some 70-125ft beneath no man's land and ultimately under enemy lines. Two infamous operations were to define the operations of the miners and the frightening destruction that was now possible. The first happened on 1 July 1916, at the start of the Battle of the Somme. Two separate tunnels had been painstakingly dug in the Picardy region with 900 men working on each one. Packed with 40,000 lbs of explosives in one and 60,000 in the other, the blast was to rip through the ground with a crater 450ft wide at La Boiselle. However, German soldiers had detected the tunnelling just 24 hours before and retreated to safer ground. The blast was so powerful that German soldiers were still killed but as British infantry troops flowed over the top they were massacred by well positioned German machine guns. 11,000 soldiers were killed just along this section and by the end of the day's fighting there were over 57,000 British casualties. Subsequently, in 1917, a co-ordinated attack created a blast so powerful, it could allegedly be heard in London. Tunnelling began in mid-1915 and it would take until June 1917 to reach their intended target, the Messines Ridge in West Flanders, Belgium. 22 tunnels were finally completed, with nearly one million lbs of explosives laid. The resulting blast vaporised all life in its path and the strategy first devised by Norton-Griffiths had proved to be as ruthless as it was destructive. It is hard to gauge the impact of the detonation but estimates have predicted that 10,000 German soldiers were killed and thousands more captured in a state of shell-shock. By 1917 Norton-Griffiths' involvement in the tunnelling process had to come an end. Military Intelligence Department called him up for one final yet hugely significant mission and he was asked to destroy the oil fields of Romania before they fell into German hands. As German troops closed in on the oil fields, Norton-Griffiths arrived just in time to carry out a trail of devastation and damage with the aid of British engineers. Going from town to town with his team of engineers he managed to wipe out the entire infrastructure of the oil fields. The Romanian government and oil producers were promised compensation but eventually received nothing as it was offset against their war debt to Britain. In 1918 Norton-Griffiths stood down from his seat in Wednesbury and was elected to Wandsworth (1918–24). He also helped to form the 'Great War Association', a forerunner of the Royal British Legion. His extraordinary life was to take one final twist. Visiting Alexandria, Egypt, in September 1930 he took a rowing boat out to sea. About an hour later his body was seen floating in the water. When the search party arrived he was found with a bullet through his temple but with no sign of the gun. The coroner's conclusion was suicide and his body was eventually brought back to rest in Mickleham, Surrey. Image copyright: National Portrait Gallery.

NORWOOD, John. 268. Private, Lance Corporal Tank Corps 302861, Lance Corporal Northumberland Fusiliers 61223

NUNN, George Richard. 1216. Private. Discharged 27/07/1916.

O'BRIEN, Pierce F. 1206 Private. Enlisted 21/11/1914 at Hounslow, London. Discharged as medically unfit 25/11/1915 due to injury sustained when his horse fell on him 2/12/1914. Awarded Silver War Badge 112052. Born in Brighton, Sussex, England in 1883. Returned from Buenos Aires, Brazil to enlist.

O' DONNELL, Albert Bernard. 1790. Private. Commissioned 10th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 13/04/1916 later Captain.

O'DONNELL, Bryan. 1468. Private. Discharged 17/02/1919.

O'DONNEL, Charles Francis. 1587. Lance Corporal. Charles was an Irishman who came over to enlist from Argentina in 1916.  Arrived from La Plata, Argentina, into Falmouth, 20/07/1916, on the SS DRINA.  His occupation was “Traffic Inspector” and he was aged 33 years. He enlisted in the King Edwards Horse as Private 1587 in Liverpool. He then transferred to the Rifle Brigade. His entitlement was BWM and Victory Medal.  He is listed as S/29108 Private Charles F. O’Donnell on MIC and BWM and VM Roll. He served with the 13th and 2nd Rifle Brigades. He was born 25/2/1883. Unpaid L/Cpl.  KIA 17-19 November 1917. Widow was Kathleen (Bray), Rathmullen, Ireland and they had two children Charles Joseph (DOB 10/10/13) and John Patrick (DOB 7/6/17). He emigrated to Argentina shortly after his marriage in 1911. His wife joined him a year later. Their first child seems to have been born in Argentina in 1913. His second child was born in June 1917. Name commemorated on the TYNE COT MEMORIAL, Belgium. Information courtesy of Gerry Rogers, Charles was his great uncle.

O'HEA, James Joseph 1128 Private. Commissioned West Kent Yeomanry 14/11/1915. Second Lieutenant Life Guards, Lieutenant Colonel Liverpool Regiment.

OLDEN, James. 1531. Private. Deserted 13/10/1916 awarded no medals.

OLIVER, Charles Frederick. 424. Private 2KEH. Commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Tank Corps 23/10/1918

OLIVER, Harry James Gordon. 1269. Private. Entered France 4/05/1915. Commissioned Second Lieutenant Tank Corps 8/10/1918. Wounded. Anglo-Argentinian Railway staff.

O'NEILL, Patrick. 1511. Private. Discharged 31/01/1919.

ORR, Walter. 6329. Private 5th Dragoon Guards 6329, (Attached 2KEH), Private 5th Dragoon Guards 12858. Entered France 24/07/1915. KIA 25/03/1918.  Born 28/05/1895 in Glasgow Maryhill, Lanarkshire, Scotland the son of Walter and Isabelle G. (nee Garvie) Orr. Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, the Somme, France. 

OSBORNE, H. E. Captain. Military Cross, G.V.R., 1914-15 Star (Lieut. H.E. Osborne. K. Edw. H.) c) British War and Victory Medals (Capt. H.E. Osborne.) M.C. London Gazette 4/10/1919 Capt. Herbert Edward Osborne, 2nd Res. Regt. of Cav., K. Edward´s Horse. (Mesopotamia) ´For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a retirement from Tickmedash to Mianeh on 5-7/09/1918. He conducted the withdrawal of his small command in face of strong enemy forces over a distance of 55 miles in a most skillful and cool manner. He caused the enemy many casualties, and eventually brought his force through to safety with comparatively few losses.´ Captain Herbert Edward Osborne MC served with the 2nd Battalion, King Edward´s Horse on the Western Front from May 1915; severely wounded in the head by shell shrapnel at Guivenchy 7/06/1915, and was subsequently rescued under heavy shell fire by Machine Gunner P. J. Pellam, 15th Battalion, Canadian Highlanders; Captain, 24/1/1917; retired, 1/4/1920.

OSWALD, Cecil A. H. 1428. Serjeant. Discharged 7/04/1919.

OZZARD, Harold T. 1256. Private. Commissioned 9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers 5/03/1916.